Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Tribute To Mrs. Goodman

Mrs. Goodman always invited us over for Gumbo on New Year's Day. It has been years since I enjoyed her wonderful gumbo as she went on to be with the Lord.

I had always wanted to make Mrs. Goodman's gumbo but never had the recipe. I looked up a bunch of recipes and finally got hold of Carmen (my dear friend who a daughter of Mrs. Goodman) while I was grocery shopping on New Year's Eve and she told me what to do. I bought everything and made the gumbo.

It was great! Shawn and I decided that we need to change the sausage to a little spicier one and it will be just about the same as hers.

I can't believe I finally did it!!!!!! Thank you Carmen for taking the time when you were trying to get your house ready and do your own shopping to make your mom's gumbo. Thank you to Mrs. Goodman for her kindness to serve so many people for so many years.

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

You are blessed to have had a Mrs Goodman in your life, I am glad you were able to remember her this year by making her delicious Gumbo

kp said...

I pass by Mrs. Goodman's (and Carmen's) old house many times a week on my way to walk Charley on the Beach. Driving down Sagamore Street nearly always makes me think of 2 things. 1. The numerous times Carmen was rear-ended on that street (as I send up a prayer/hope that the street's karma has changed). 2. I also remember (my one) New Year's Day gumbo dinner at Mrs. Goodman's. So sorry to hear of her passing. Carmen, sending you good thoughts. -- Kristine Brewer Poggioli