Recently someone was asking for something and they said "the one that is Carolina Blue". For those of you who have lived in NC for any amount of time, you would have known exactly what they meant. For my CA friends, you are saying as I did "Carolina Blue is not a crayola color".
Well, don't tell anyone out here that. Carolina Blue is the color for UNC (University of Chapel Hill North Carolina). The Carolina Tar Heels.
College sports is big out here. I learned that the first day we came to visit over 5 years ago. We were told to pick a college team and stay with it. Since Shawn and I know nothing of sports in general, just that the Giants and 49ers are our teams (sorry to those from Neighborhood church, we were San Franciscans by birth and only lived in the East Bay for a short time). Picking a college team was very difficult.
There are other team colors that although not found in the Crayola box, they're are just as important. For instance: Red is the color of NC State Wolfpacks (that's in Raleigh) and that would be the team I tend to root for. (no reason than my friend teaches there and my adopted niece Christina attends there).
Then we have the dark blue of the Blue Devils at Duke University (if that blue has a special name, please someone who knows tell us the correct name in comments.)
And I am sure there are more. The fact that I asked Coach Kay Yow if she was a "gym teacher" at State (she is the women's basketball coach at State and Reynold's Coliseum was renamed to Kay Yow Court at Reynolds Coliseum in her honor) should tell you she is much more than a gym teacher. Those around me just stood in horror as I said this fau pau. She of course being the ever wonderful woman that she is simple said "she coaches".
Oddly enough, I have not been tarred or feathered or run out on a rail. I am still alive and well and enjoying all the many new things I am learning and seeing.
Thanks for allowing me to ramble and be me. And for those who wanted to know, no you don't have a choice, I will always be me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Uh... I called the blue for the blue devils 'Duke Blue' ;-)... and since we too were transplants.. I never officially picked a team.. though I admit to being partial to Carolina...
Hi Cathy,
Good to hear from you!
I also think it is called "Duke Blue"......at least in these parts it is! Anywhere else it would probably be called Royal!
lol
Hi friend.
Welcome to the blogging world.
I look forward to following your rambilings :) You always bring a smile to my face and I miss seeing you. I look for you at church but never seem to see you (and we have not been super much the last 2 months).
So now, if I need a smile from you I can read your blog :)
BTW - we don't have a NC team either and I love college sports.
This just made me LAUGH!!!
John isn't allowed to wear Carolina Blue :) Go Pack!!
Glad you didn't get tarred or feathered but I bet if they did the feathers would be Carolina Blue in color, hahahahahahah
Post a Comment